Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Toddlers have their own agendum






Well, my Zoé certainly does have her own agenda. It is so hard to contain her energy, enthusiasm, perseverance, independence, and elation for new activities or therapy sessions.
Kitty manages to keep her focused and Zoé still amazes me everyday.
Her favorite word right now is : NO, classic!
Her favorite past-time: pretending to give herself a time out, or going on a little trip:" Je fais un petit voyage."
We got back from Yosemite on Sunday night quite late, and it went beautifully. Zoé thoroughly enjoyed it, though it was hard at times to contain her in the stroller, she wanted to walk everywhere.
The sights and sounds of Yosemite are awe-inspiring. David and I got to escape for a moonlight tour of the valley, though overcast, we enjoyed imagining the granite monoliths towering over our heads.
Zoé is continuing to make strides, shows great gain and makes me proud of her.
The routine is draining though, and I am in need a some downtime from therapies, support group meetings and constant aggravating calls with insurance companies.
My new task at hand is to find a preschool for Zoé. Various options are to be considered: home-based, center-based, Montessori-style or co-ops, though I am not sure that would be a good fit for Zoé.
Speech-wise, I am afraid Zoé's English is taking over so I am constantly translating songs, books and feel somewhat bad when I speak French to her in front of people who cannot understand, but I want her to be bilingual so I have no choice. She'll thank me later on. But in a world where EVERYTHING is in ENGLISH, it is hard to get my way. I feel like the French cartoon character Asterix (the series follows the exploits of a village of ancient Gauls as they resist Roman occupation). I am trying to resist the omnipresence of English. A difficult task at hand considering we live in the USA!
Today Maud left us and so here I post a big THANK YOU for her amazing help and wish her well on her future endeavors.

No comments: